Are you starting to get stuck? Some of the best intentions can be met with challenges. We lead such busy lives that it is hard to find “time” to do the things we should be doing. I cannot tell you how many times a day I hear, “I’d love to do that, but I just don’t have the time.” Well I hate to burst the bubble here but time is relative. All we need to do is create time! I know this may sound easier than it is, but it really is that easy! As soon as you say those words, “I don’t have time”, you already set yourself up for failure. Try to change your thoughts and words and say, “I will make time”. You will be surprised at what you can fit in when you change the way you think.
With that said here are some tips to “save-time” and therefore allow you to stick to your plan.
- Make a Menu Board. I don’t know how many times this has happened to me. I get home from work and had good intention to make something fabulous for dinner, but get home and just make something quick and easy, but not necessarily healthy. I am not saying quick and easy cannot be healthy, but a lot of times unhealthy food can be easy to just through in or pick-up.
- To go along with the menu board, you will need to plan your meals in advance. This will also help with your shopping trip and will discourage you from buying those unhealthy impulse items that somehow end up in our carts. We sit down every Sat morning and go through the refrigerator and plan meals for the upcoming week, make a list, then hot Trader Joe's and Sprouts (we are very lucky to have these awesome stores!!)
- Prep your lunch the night before. This way you can take your time to make a nice healthy lunch. You can also do this with breakfast (depending on what you have in the morning, I have a protein shake so it works great for me!
- Make a work-out schedule. Sometimes when we are forced to write things down, it makes us a little more accountable. There are also some great apps out there that will get you motivated. http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/292474/the-25-best-fitness-apps
- Set out your work-out gear the night before. This way it is ready to go for you in the morning,
Hope this helps!
Recipe of the Week
Mushroom Chicken with Asparagus
2 Chicken breasts
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
1 tbs Olive Oil / Avocado Oil
1 bunch Asparagus (washed and cut)
1/2 cup Feta Cheese
Mushroom Basil Sauce (courtesy of allrecipies.com) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/basil-cream-sauce/
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a meat mallet and pound out the chicken breasts so they are about ½ inch thick. Boil water and place asparagus in water until blanched. Dry and set aside. Place asparagus on chicken with feta cheese (divide between the 2 breasts), wrap and set aside. Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Place chicken breast in skillet and brown on both sides. Place in baking dish and drizzle with olive or avocado oil. Finish in the oven for ~30min or until 165 degrees. Make Basil sauce and pour over chicken.
I love to share my knowledge about nutrition and wellness. Please feel free to contact me for topic requests.